St John’s School has a very long history with its origins in the Old Penge Chapel which opened in 1837. Early in the 1850s, following the completion of St John the Evangelist Church as the Parish Church of Penge, the chapel building became used entirely as a school.
In 1860 an infants’ school was built on the present site in Maple Road and by 1863 there were three separate schools (Infants, Girls and Boys) using the two buildings. This continued until 1938 when St Johns Junior mixed and Infants school was established in Maple Road.
In 1977 the site was extended and a new school building was begun, which opened in September 1978. The present school has 10 classrooms and a nurture room. The multi-purpose hall is used as an assembly hall, a gymnasium and a dining room. It is served by a large kitchen and also incorporates a P.E. Store and a servery. Separated from the hall by sliding doors is a Library.
Outside there are two playgrounds, a grass area and a separate outside area for the Key Stage 1 classes to use.
In 2007, a seperate building was opened to house the Early Years Foundation Stage and the children there now have two classrooms, self-contained facilities and their own outside area. In October 2016 these facilities were further adapted to cater for additional children and provide an intervention space.
St John’s CE Primary School continues to work very closely with the Church and is rapidly developing joint strategies to support the children and families we serve. We hope this will lead to further buildings and development works on both the school and Church sites, to cater for our ambitious and exciting future plans.